Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Finale

Tonight was the last of the Presidential debates. I joined the fun 10 minutes late unfortunately (gotta hate traffic) and I was impressed at times by each candidate. I am a strong believer in researching and coming to your own conclusion. So here is the transcripts from the latest debate on October 15. You cannot be persuaded by any news station or fancy commentator. This is the real deal, what was said and who said it. Don't let Fox News, CNN, or MSNBC persuade the reality of this debate. Read for yourself on the realities of what was said and went on. I believe this election is one of the most important ones in America's history. Please vote and vote educated, not persuaded. Here is some quotes straight from the transcripts for you to chew on:

MCCAIN: I would never and have never in all the years I've been there imposed a litmus test on any nominee to the court. That's not appropriate to do.

SCHIEFFER: But even if it was someone -- even someone who had a history of being for abortion rights, you would consider them?

MCCAIN: I would consider anyone in their qualifications. I do not believe that someone who has supported Roe v. Wade that would be part of those qualifications. But I certainly would not impose any litmus test.

OBAMA:
But there surely is some common ground when both those who believe in choice and those who are opposed to abortion can come together and say, "We should try to prevent unintended pregnancies by providing appropriate education to our youth, communicating that sexuality is sacred and that they should not be engaged in cavalier activity, and providing options for adoption, and helping single mothers if they want to choose to keep the baby."

Those are all things that we put in the Democratic platform for the first time this year, and I think that's where we can find some common ground, because nobody's pro-abortion. I think it's always a tragic situation.


(new subject)

MCCAIN: One of them happened just the other day, when a man I admire and respect -- I've written about him -- Congressman John Lewis, an American hero, made allegations that Sarah Palin and I were somehow associated with the worst chapter in American history, segregation, deaths of children in church bombings, George Wallace. That, to me, was so hurtful.

OBAMA: It absolutely is true. And, now, I think the American people are less interested in our hurt feelings during the course of the campaign than addressing the issues that matter to them so deeply.

And there is nothing wrong with us having a vigorous debate like we're having tonight about health care, about energy policy, about tax policy. That's the stuff that campaigns should be made of.